The University of Wisconsin–Madison Arts Institute, the School of Music, and the Office of Multicultural Arts Initiatives (OMAI) within the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Educational Achievement welcome legendary Afro-Cuban musician Juan de Marcos González as the Fall 2015 Interdisciplinary Artist in Residence.
While in residence, Juan de Marcos will teach a 3 credit lecture in "Afro-Cuban Music: Roots, Jazz, Hip Hop" and a 1 credit course in "Music Production: Afro-Cuban & Hip Hop." He will also conduct weekly masterclasses with School of Music ensembles, conduct community outreach in Madison and Milwaukee, and present public lectures and performances along with invited guests Pellejo Secco, the Afro-Cuban All Stars, and Telmary Diaz.
The Juan de Marcos residency is sponsored by the UW-Madison Arts Institute and is hosted by the School of Music and Office of Multicultural Arts Initiatives (OMAI). OMAI proposed the Juan de Marcos residency to coincide with the program’s 10th anniversary celebrations. His residency is cosponsored by the Afro–American Studies Department; the Department of Art History; the Dance Department; the Art Department; the Latin American, Caribbean and Iberian Studies Program; and the A.E. Havens Center for the Study of Social Justice. Community partners include the Greater Madison Jazz Consortium, the Dane County Cultural Affairs Commission (Dane Arts), the Madison Arts Commission, 100state, and the Overture Center for the Arts. The Art Institute’s Interdisciplinary Arts Residency Program is made possible by funding from the UW-Madison Office of the Provost.
- Check out our photo album for some great shots of A Celebration Event with Legendary Cuban Musician Juan de Marcos and Friends!
- If you missed the live stream of A Celebration Event with Legendary Cuban Musician Juan de Marcos and Friends on December 8, we are thrilled to share the video footage with you!
- Experience the Classical Side of Cuban Music with this photo album from the concert on October 28, 2015.
- The lecture series is really underway now! See a glimpse of what's in store by watching this video featuring footage from the Afro-Cuban All Stars' visit to Madison.
- Check out our photo album for some great shots of the Juan de Marcos weekly lecture series!
- Juan de Marcos' weekly lecture series kicked off on Tuesday, September 22, and featured guest artists Pellejo Seco! Watch this promotional video.
- Register for Latin American String Ensemble: A Performance Workshop taught by Gliceria González and Mikko Utevsky by September 6, 2015.
to unforeseen circumstances, guest artist Sierra Maestra are unable to
join us, and as such, their events have been cancelled.
The band Pellejo Seco,
an eclectic group that has its roots in traditional Cuban music, has
been added to the list of guest artists visiting Madison this semester.